KIDS WALK ACROSS AMERICA 501(c)(3)
Kids Walk Across America is stepping out for healthy kids across America through community partnerships that promote daily physical exercise, fresh and healthy eating and healthy social development.
Why We Care: Stepping Out Against Childhood Obesity
- Childhood obesity rates in America have tripled in the past 30 years, becoming an epidemic in our nation & state.
- One in three U.S. children are overweight or obese, and at higher risk of developing serious health problems.
- These problems span from childhood to adulthood, including heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure & asthma.
- Rates are higher in African American & Hispanic communities where nearly 40% of children are overweight or obese.
Who We Are:
- Kids Walk Across America is a California based non-profit 501(c)3, committed to helping kids form healthy habits at an early age in four essential areas: 1) Daily outdoor fitness activity, 2) Eating smart & maintaining a healthy weight, 3) Growing healthy relationships, 4) Caring & giving back to community.
- Inspired by First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move Campaign, Kids Walk launched its pilot program in May 2010 at Del Amo Fashion Center in Torrance CA. Hundreds of local youth, ages 3-13 and their parents participated in our virtual walks across 50 states over 50 weeks. The program included 60 minutes of fitness fun, nutrition activities, crafts, live entertainment & a fresh produce stand for sampling & purchase.
- Kids Walk families are strengthened as they enjoy community building activities in safe, outdoor spaces.
- Nearly 2,000 kids & parents have participated in program walks, nutrition activities and events.
- Kids Walkers representing over 100 area schools, have all together, walked more than 10,000 actual miles!
- $10,000 in grants have been distributed to 35 elementary classes & youth groups for educational needs.
- Dedicated teen volunteers have served as healthy role models & led activities at Kids Walk station stops, including : 1) State Talk, 2) Nutrition Stop, 3) Fitness Fun, 4) Acts of Kindness and 5) Craft Mania.
- Several replicable models & community partnerships have been launched including Los Angeles Brotherhood Crusade, Expo Center, Torrance & Redondo Beach Unified School Districts, Coast Produce Company, Sharefest Community Development Corp, Del Amo/Simon Malls and other Los Angeles organizations & businesses.
- Kids Walk Community Market launched in Spring 2010, bringing fresh, peak of the season fruits & vegetables to the community.
Kids Walk 2012 Expansion:
Kids Walk is planning partnership programs for 2012! If you are a business or an organization who shares our passion for growing fit, healthy American kids, and would like to help us reach many more Southern California communities & beyond, please contact Jackie Tsujimoto, Director, Community Partnerships 714/624-0282. Thanks for stepping out!
Kids Walk Across America and other programs of Fresh Hope Group, Inc. are committed to promoting healthier alternatives that strengthen families and help to improve the overall health of our local communities.